Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

One of my joys in life is soup. If I had to pick a favourite food to make soup would be at the top. It is so simple to make once you learn a few basic principles. It is warm and inviting on a cold day. It's hearty and filling and makes your whole house smell delicious. It's instant comfort in a bowl. It's like a big warm hug from the outside in. Today felt like a good day to make some soup. I wanted something warm and hearty and creamy. I decided on Baked Potato soup. I thought I'd share my journey of making this bowl of deliciousness with you.

The Ingredients:

First of firsts take note of my gorgeous orange kitchen wall. I love this color more thatn words can say. Don't take note of the fact that it doesn't come all the way down to the counter as the countertop is leaving soon.

First take however many potatoes you think you'll need and bake them. I used 8 red potatoes. If you don't like reds use a different kind. 450 degrees for an hour.


Meanwhile fry up some bacon. I used about 10 pieces, and ate about 4. :)


Don't drain the grease out of the pan. Just leave it sit off to the side for a bit we're gonna use it later. Take your baked potatoes and cut them up, cut up 3 green onions, about 1/2 a cup of Parsely, (parsely oh parsely how do I love thee!)and chop up the bacon.




Set all those things off to the side, we're gonna make a cream sauce for the soup now. In the fry pan you cooked the bacon in, drain off most of the fat. Leave about a tablepoon or two in. Heat over medium high heat.

Add in an equal amount of flour, sprinkle all over the pan and cook for a few minutes until it's a deeper brown in color.
Stir constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon. When it looks like the picture below you are ready to add the cream and milk.

Slowly add the cream to the mixture whisking constantly, add about 2 cups of milk to the mixture slowly and bring it to a gently simmer.

Add in about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese and mix thoroughly.



When this is all encorporated slowly add in the chicken broth. Pour it all back into a big pot, add in the potatoes, bacon, onion and sour cream. Mix it all up.


Add in the parsley and let it heat for a few minutes.


Serve and enjoy!


It is guaranteed to bring smiles to the faces of the pickiest eaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers