Sunday, January 3, 2010

My new goal

I have decided I needed some new goals this year. Nothing momentous or earth shattering just trying to use the resources available to me rather than wasteful squandering. What I am refering to specifically is my freezer. I use them, I have two that are filled to the brim and you couldn't squeeze a fart in them, I have them so full. The problem is, I buy all this meat at Costco and on sale with the best of intentions to use this stuff and I never seem to actually use it. It just sits in my freezer until two or three years down the road I eventually throw it out. A horrible freezer burned waste. So this year I vow to do things differently. I need to pre-plan what we are having for supper and take it out in the morning so it's thawed by supper time. I admit this has been a challenge for me in years past, but since I grew up taking out the meat then night before we needed it, I'm hopeful I'll be back in the swing of it soon. Day 1 so far so good. I used two packaged of hamburger I would have normally threw out for chili. We ate it, it's good, we aren't suffering from botulism or any other imagined possible diseases from eating frozen hamburger. I made fresh buns to go with it too. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Fresh buns??? Is there anything better!

4 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong with making chili when it comes to frozen meat that makes you go "meh," which I think is the driving idea behind the chili at Wendy's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meal planning works... I always have a rough idea of what I'm gonna cook for the week....

    Been dabbling in different cooking, like Indian and Thai.... plus, my kids are getting into cooking too, YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely loving your blog - you're a natural!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sarah. I am enjoying yours too!

    ReplyDelete

Followers