Sunday, December 20, 2009

Girls day out

So Christmas is upon us once again, and it's time that the true meaning of the season get's lost in the flurry of activity and hustle and bustle of gift buying. I thought I had it together this year. I did my shopping early (meaning before the 20th) Melissa and Lisa and I had a fabulous girls day out shopping.

We started out at Ikea. Which meant we got to browse Ikea sans men. Alleluia! This is the true way Ikea is meant to be enjoyed. Three hours we spent in there. Three hours! Browsing the various departments, checking out the kitchen ware, sitting in sofa chairs, looking at all the little tchotchkes. Ahhh bliss, pure uninterupted female bliss.

No huffing, no impatient sighs, no whining "How much is this gonna cost me?" No "how long are we gonna be here? I don't want to get home at midnight" type comments. For the first time ever I got to actually look at the artwork and lamps. It was a veritable cornucopia of treasures. Where else can you have a rivetting discussion regarding Ikea's food shelf and whether or not their Sweedish Meatballs are any good? I even managed to find a pair of sheers for my living room window.

I felt like Chevy Chase in Vacation when he triumphantly yells "We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our godamn smiles. You'll be whistling 'Zip-A-Dee Doo-Dah' out of you're assholes!" Well we weren't quite whistling Zip a de doo dah but by then end of the day we were still smiling.

Our next stop was the Sears outlet mall where I did manage to get most of my shopping done for my family. There were great sales and a hundred dollar gift card helped out too. There is nothing riveting to say about Sears. It just is what it is.

The highlight of our trip was the new mall at Balzac. This suckah was massive! I introduced the girls to LUSH and they in turn introduced me to Bath and Body works. There is something there for everyone and it's not as crowded as the city malls. Thanks to the TD bank and their gift wrapping station we enjoyed a little break and a drink while we sat and visited for a few minutes while they wrapped out gifts for us. They are all green mind you, but hell it was way better than doing it myself. The candy apples from Rocky mountain chocolate factory pleased the young miss when I got home. I bought a snowman and a reindeer. They were not only too cute, but yummy as well.

I did manage to follow my shopping plan this year for the young miss. She is getting a lot less than years previous. She's getting : a want, a need, something to play with and something to read. Plus a few other little things.

In true girl fashion we shut the mall down. They kicked us out at 9:00pm, which to our horror was only two hours away from the time Lisa was due to be sitting in report room at work. How we managed to kill the entire day shopping I'll never know but I look foreward to doing it again. Hopefully next time we'll be killing the day at the spa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers