
So after a noticeable absence I feel compelled to blog again. My sense of internet safety among friends was recently shaken with accusations of people posting work related statuses on facebook and how it was a big nono. It felt like big brother was there watching just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting so I stopped sharing for a while.
We've had a busy month since I blogged last but what I want to chat about today is how proud I am of my kid. Two years ago I got a call one day from the pastor of our church. He was new to our congregation and had noticed there was a few kids of confirmation age among his flock. So he decides it's as good of a time as any to start confirmation classes and lead the youth to full church privileges.
So he asks if Allie is interested in taking the classes, knowing full well her answer I went right ahead and signed the kid up. After all she should have the religious education to make her own informed decisions about organised religion. So little to my knowledge I didn't just sign her up, I ended up having to go too!
So the first year she made it through the memory work, learning Bible verses and the books and stories of the bible. She struggled with some of the work as she was a little young to be in confirmation class. We figured 3 years she should have the gist of it all by then. The highlight of her year was a youth retreat at Sylvan Lake with her class.
So the next year begins and year two is all about the Catechism and what we believe in. Allie, from somewhere suddenly gains an amazing aptitude for religious studies, does her homework without being reminded, learns the memory work and is acing the tests and encouraging us to go to church a little more regularly.
So a few months ago Pastor Curtis gives her the option of going through confirmation early. She thought about it, we talked it through with her and she decided to go for it. So her final assignment was to write a "Testament of faith" about her religious faith and what being confirmed means to her. So she struggled to do the essay but managed to get it done. She had to read it in front of the congregation and she did so.
I had invited my dad and his wife to come up for the event. He isn't religious at all, but he was there when she was baptised I thought he'd at least appreciate an invitation to the event. It's seldom any of Allie's grandparents attend anything she does. They have all been absent grandparents so I didn't really expect him to come. Well lo and behold they came. They came a few days early and I was really pleased we got to spend a few days together. Since my parents got divorced years ago, I have felt like we have had a strained relationship. I love the guy but he just chooses a different path in life than us and it's a path I don't wanna go down.
I had invited my local relatives, including the bachelor Uncle (who couldn't come as he was schmoozing two chicks that day) Both of my grandma's who live in town. One religious the other not so much. I had also on the off chance they wanted to come and officially be relieved of their religious obligations, invited both of her Godparents. We didn't expect that her Godfather would be able to come as he lives up north two provinces away and it would have been fairly cost prohibitive to come for a weekend. Her Godmother on the other hand was able to come up over night and share the day with us. It had been almost 12 years since she had last been to our town and we were all excited she came. She brought her mother with her which was just an added blessing as she's a second mother to me and has always treated me like one of hers. Last on the list to come was my friend Suzanne. Sadly she's moving away and it would have been one of the last times we saw her in a long while so she was able to attend as well.
Zan, Lisa and Aggie
So we all went to church, watched Allie and the rest of the confirmands take their first communion.
We took some pictures of the day following the service and everyone headed out soon after. As tired as we were once it was all said and done, it really made me a little sad to see all those I hold nearest and dearest leave after a visit that was far too short. There was much, much laughter in that short time and much love as well and I really miss sharing that with that group of people. So the whole Easter season was a season of blessings to us this year. Allie achieved a huge milestone and we were blessed with sharing it with family and friends. Thanks to you all. I love having you as guests in my home and I was so glad you all came to share the day with us.
Allie and our Pastor
Allie with great grandma
I saved the best for last. The church ladies always buy a cake so the congregation can share cake and coffee with the kids following the service. It was a beautiful cake that I am sure they paid a lot for. It was just a shame whomever decorated it was illiterate and couldn't spell confirmation. I have submitted this sucker to cakewrecks.com for their perusal.
OK, that cake is AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Allie and all that good stuff, but the cake....takes the cake.
LOL at the cake... Niiiice.
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful Cam... And where is Suz moving to?
She's moving to Vancouver. She's taking over the Vancouver office of KPMG. I'm so darn proud of that girl!
ReplyDeleteAh Cam...I just read this. I won't wait twelve years before I come up again! We had so much fun. Allie is a firecracker and she reminds me so much of you at the same age! LOOK OUT!!!
ReplyDeleteThe cake tasted great, but love the illeterate comment. Did I spell illiterate right or am I in fact also illeterate!!?!?!?
Also, that picture you posted ~ NASTY. I look like I've got Palsy or something =)