So for some reason last year I lost my enthusiasm for blogging and let it sit for a while. I've decided I missed blogging and so I've returned to my long abandoned blog. Lots has changed in the last year.
We sort of finished the kitchen reno. We had Jer paint and it still looks good and now i've decided to change the kitchen flooring.
I had surgery in January, a big one. I had a gastric bypass. Not many know cause I'm sort of secretive about it, but about 5 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I was ashamed of this because I knew it was weight related. So I asked my doc for a referral to Dr. Nohr for a gastric bypass. It is one of the "cures" for 80% of type 2 diabetes. If you aren't cured most people see an 80% improvement in their condition. It was a chance I was willing to take. I've seen too many complications in my line of work that it was enough for me to decide enough's, enough. Took me three years to get the consult with the doc, he approved me and I got the call right before Christmas. What a great gift. A new life.
It has not been all sunshine and roses. It is a hard way to lose weight. Very hard. It's hard to drink enough, hard to eat when nothing tastes good, or when you are never hungry. The plus side is my diabetes has vastly improved. I'm no longer on insulin or metformin and I expect to come off my last med before too long. I've also lost 45lbs so far.
I went public so to speak about my surgery very early on. I'm not ashamed I had the surgery, I'm ashamed I needed it in the first place. I fight the stigma of being overweight by sharing my experience with gastric bypass. Any and all questions are welcomed.
It's great to be back!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had no idea, Melissa. That's very brave of you to share your experience, no shame at all in wanting to make changes to be healthy in your life! Congrats on your journey thus far and all the best with the rest of it!
ReplyDelete